With a tender crumb and rich frosting, a layered chocolate cake always impresses, no matter the occasion. One bite and you’ll agree this cake recipe is awesome!
Prep: 20 min. | Bake: 20 min. + cooling | Makes: 16 servings
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 cup sour cream
4-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
Chocolate curls, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line three 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour the pans and paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt chips and butter over low heat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread between layers and over top and side of cake. If desired, top with chocolate curls. Refrigerate leftovers.