DANVILLE — Geisinger is expanding vaccine availability for healthcare personnel who have been deemed to be in tier 1A, who can schedule an appointment for the vaccine online.
The vaccines will be distributed at “new community-based vaccine centers” throughout central and northeastern Pennsylvania.
According to a release from Geisinger, the following healthcare professionals all qualify as being a part of phase 1A for vaccination, and can begin making appointments for vaccination:
• Clinical personnel in school or university settings
• Contracted healthcare personnel not directly employed by a healthcare facility
• Dentists and dental hygienists
• Direct support professionals
• Medical students and trainees
• Non-Geisinger providers and their staffs
• Nurses and nursing assistants
• Persons not directly involved in patient care but potentially exposed to infectious material that can transmit disease
• Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians
If you fall under any of the above categories, you can make an appointment online using myGeisinger, which will have a questionnaire before scheduling to ensure eligibility. Healthcare personnel must bring healthcare-related ID to their appointment to confirm their status as a phase 1A employee.
Healthcare personnel who have been cared for by Geisinger or have Geisinger Health Plan insurance, but don’t have a myGeisinger account, can create one online. Those who haven’t been cared for by Geisinger and don’t have Geisinger Health Plan insurance or anyone under the age of 18 can call 570-284-3657 for help setting up an account.
Currently, Geisinger is distributing both the Pfizer BioNTech and Moderna vaccines for COVID-19. Both vaccines require two doses to be received. The second dose of the Pfizer vaccine must be taken 21 days after the first, while the Moderna second dose comes 28 days after the first.
Geisinger asks those scheduling a vaccination consider the need to appear twice. You will be required to receive both vaccinations at the same location.